Friday, November 23, 2012

Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not)


Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) at the Wandesford Quay Gallery

The curators of this exhibition, Tom Dalton and David Upton, began the process of curation by visiting the artist studios, and asking to see work, including work that may be something new or unresolved. Having looked at the work they devised the theme and selected the artists and work.

My two photographs shown are from a series I made in Paris last year while staying at The Centre Cultural Irlandais, as part of my Alliance Photography Laureate award. Armed with my twin lens reflex I approached the Physics dept. at the University of Paris and asked if I could photograph their old instruments of measurement. I was interested in them as objects whose function is described in their form. They could well still perform their function, but they are not needed to.

I was also interested in the beauty of the objects, brass and wood and made by hand. I photographed them outside the men’s toilets where I liked the light and their beauty against the irreverent old tiles.
In Paris I used an old film camera, whose function is described it its form, to make these photos. It too has been superseded by more modern cameras, but these newer models can not reproduce the particular qualities of this old camera & the photographs it produces.

Instruments of Measurement and Conduction, University of Paris N8 and N18, 
12"x12" unmounted fiber based silver gelatin hand prints © Roseanne Lynch, 2012

 Noli Me Tangere (Touch me not) is a Backwater Artist Group Exhibition. It continues to run from 16th Nov – 1st December 2012 at the Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork.

No comments:

Post a Comment